Monday, July 26, 2010

Back to the Blog!

Wow! It has been quite a while since I wrote my last blog. Over a year now. I have to admit that I did try to write a couple of times - but either the words, or inspiration just were not there. Its amazing how far you can go in a year - not even in miles, but also in the direction you take your life.
I look back on my tree hugging, hippie days of last year with a smile - now. It took me a while to get here, because I felt mortified, embarrassed, and well confused. I was so sure that I had found the life I wanted to live in raw food veganism. However, when I discovered that it just wasn't what I wanted for myself I felt mortified for letting myself get so obsessed, embarrassed that I had preached to my family about this lifestyle, and confused as to what the heck I should do now. What scared me the most was if I could be so wrong about this, how can I be sure of any other feeling I have? How would I ever figure out what I wanted out of life. I am still on that path - of not really knowing what I want to do now. Which is starting to get really old; however, I have made some great progress. For I see that it is now WHAT you do, but HOW you do it. There are a millions things I could be doing right now - none better than the other -just different. Nothing in life is going to be "perfect", as much as I want it to be it never will!
And so, even though I chose to abandon the raw food culture I did take away some great lessons.
  • Stand up for who you want to be, and your life decisions - I got a lot of flack for the decisions I was making. It felt right at the time. I was following what my heart was telling me, and stuck to my "guns" - so to say! (I think that if I would not have gone to hippie camp I would have found my way to where I am now a little easier, and struggled a little less - but hey, these are the character building moments, and the stories are always worth a laugh of too. Since I can now laugh at the experience, it's a win-win for everyone!)
  • Always be willing to try new things, and get out of your comfort zone. It is easy to look at the negative side of things, get down on ourselves and count our failures. But only we get to choose our lives, our attitudes, and how we perceive our realities - so why not find the lesson in every experience. If we stay stuck in our routines, and never get out of our comfort zone - A. We will never grow as individuals, and B. We will never find other things that we are passionate about - like sleeping in tents!
  • I really enjoy talking to people, and helping them understand anything I can teach. Even thought I still feel a little embarrassed that I got all preachy about the raw food culture I did really enjoy sharing my knowledge with anyone who would listen. It showed me the passion I have for sharing knowledge, which is a side of myself I hope to nurture, and capitalize on. However, hopefully it is something a little less cultish, and more... dare I say it - practical.
  • I learnt that I can handle pretty much anything! I may have had to climb into a tree to find solitude, but at least I learnt self preservation! (okay, maybe a little dramatic!) As well, I can relate to a whole lot of experiences now that I wouldn't have otherwise been able to do.
  • I discovered a new passion - cooking! I spent a lot of time experimenting with recipes and learnt the art of food blending. I studied which tastes go well with each other. The basics behind making things taste good! I realized that I LIKED to be in the kitchen, inventing new things, upgrading old recipes, or trying anything that sounded interesting.
  • AND, we really do not need to eat as much meat as we think we do. There is lots of great plant protein that is good for you, and tastes great. Not only is taking a meat timeout good for you it also helps to lower the stress that meat production has on the earth.
Raw food wasn't for me - and that okay. Maybe it is right for someone else - and that perfectly fine too. Western culture FOR SURE needs more fresh fruits and vegetables in our diet, but we also don't need to go crazy! Life it too short to not enjoy yourself. We only have one life, so make your own rules! And, as my Father tell me - be happy everyday!

And SO - what's happened to the former tree hugging, hippie girl that was me a year ago. Well, she didn't entirely go away - however I am enjoying cooked food, fish, chicken, and even a little beef from time to time. I drink wine, and other yummy alcoholic drinks occasionally - especially when in the celebratory mood (and don't feel guilty about it)! Last august/winter I spent working and snowboarding in Whistler. February I worked for CTV during the Olympics. And March I went back to school to- finally- get an under graduate degree. (at the bequest of my baba, and when I realized I didn't want to work in a shop, or wait tables for the rest of my life!) I am now a full time student at Quest University in Squamish, BC. It was a bit of a rough transition, but am now starting to settle into the student vibe.
Which leads me to my current inspiration to get back to my blog. This summer 15 students are working with our Rhetoric teacher. Every 2 weeks we have a writing assignment based on a writing prompt. I thought it would be great to post them here after they have been reviewed. We have been writing about some neat personal stuff!
Its been a long haul from last summer till now. I've done a lot of soul searching, but think I have finally started to find my way back to a path I am ready to walk down.
Keep checking back for writing assignments, updates and other stories - up next: adventures on the West Coast Trail - the 7 day, 6 night hiking adventure - where I challenged my limits with 10 amazing people - some old friends, some new. The trip was unforgettable, and had a profound changes in how I view my surrounding - and some I have yet to discover.

As always - peace, love and laughter y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment