Sunday, January 2, 2011

Since It's Christmas and Because I am a Girl!

This Christmas I asked my aunts and uncles not to buy me any gifts. Instead of spending money on me, I ask them to donate to a charity instead. The charity I picked is called, Because I am a Girl. It provides girls in Africa a better opportunity to move past the economic barrier, and realize their worth as a human being. They are not magicians, but they are trying to remove some of the barriers and provide the support these girls desperately need. I know my act of charity isn’t a big contribution in the grand scheme of things, but it felt good to know that I was able to help in a small way. My aunts and uncles bought mosquito nets, birth certificates and emergency kits. The great part about this charity is every donation is either matched, or tripled by 3rd parties!

The request I made to my family must have touched my mother’s giant heart. For, she also made a donation to the charity and bought her nieces (and myself) t-shirts supporting the cause! My one aunt unfortunately didn’t receive my Christmas wish. Although she has a big heart and her intentions were pure, she gave me a card full of money instead. True to my Christmas pledge, I donated the money to Because I am a Girl and bought my girlfriends the same t-shirts! Who known’s how these shirts will inspire my friends and others in the future!

Although my Christmas bounty was significantly smaller, I receive something much more valuable! It did not bother me in the slightest to give up my presents, because I knew I made a difference in someone’s life. I live in a family where I have more than I need. That is not the case for many people in this world. Although Christmas has turned into a capitalistic corporate machine and it is easy to become bitter, lets not forget what the essence of what Christmas stands for. To me that essence is celebrating with loved ones, and sharing your good fortune with others.

"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give" Winston Churchill

Merry Christmas to all and to all a goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment