Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Drive to London, Ontario - Day 1

My “pilgrimage” out east started this morning at my parent’s home in Saskatoon at 7:00 in the morning.  Tonight it has ended here in Dryden, Ontario.  My cousin Anna and myself have stopped for the night, 13 hours and many kilometers away from the comforts of our beds.  We are spending the night at the Evening Star Motel, a “quaint” little place with “kitchenettes”.  I would say it is cozy.  Anna, on the other hand, would describe it as “a flea-bag motel”. Somewhere in between lies the truth!  I like it because I feel like I am on an adventure, and she can't complain because said she didn’t care where we stayed!  I am sure Anna would have preferred the Comfort, Holliday, or other corporate “Inn” that I blew past.  I am not sure why, but somehow my adventurous spirit always seems to lead me to these places.   That, or due to my inherent inability to turn around and go back I eventually end up stopping at a place that looks good enough! 

It has been a lovely trip so far.  I think Anna is a little tuckered out.  She isn’t the seasoned road warrior as myself, but she is great company.   We just had a good laugh at our different states. 

“Your just a big ball of energy aren’t you.  Geeze, you’ve been up since the crack of dawn, drove for 13 hours, went for a run and are no typing away, content as you like.   Here I am exhausted and ready for bed.  What have I done today?  Sat in the front seat as the worlds worst co-pilot and I can barely keep my eyes open!  Sheesh.”  

The power of the greenies continues to amaze me!  Also, Anna did forewarn me about her lack of navigational skills, not that I needed them mind you.  I think I have made about 4 exits in total!  The drive is easy and very beautiful.  There are lots of trees, rocks and lakes to keep one in a continuous state of awe.  There is no room in my mind to be tired! 

We made great time so far.  Growing up with my father, and spending 4 years on the bobsleigh circuit, which is basically a 5 month road trip, I have learnt that you stop to gas up and that’s it!  We ate our packed lunches in the car and stopped in Kenora, Ontario for Dinner.  Kenora is lovely!  It is this beautiful lake town/city.  It reminds me of a more rugged Whistler.  We chose to have dinner down by the bay.  We stopped in at the Best Western Hotel, which I know sounds kind of wanh-wanh, but the view was A-MAZ-ING!  The restaurant is on top of the hotel, which happens to be round, with a view out onto the bay.  The sun was setting as we dinned on fresh salads!   What more could you ask for.  I was feeling particularly good so we pressed on.  I let Anna sleep and jammed out to my iPod.  My singing must not have been that bad, or the music was loud enough to drown me out because she slept like a little angel.

Time for me to sign off, seeing as we have another two long days ahead of us.

Peace, Love and Laughter Y’all!

No comments:

Post a Comment